Friday, August 7, 2009

The thing called Scatting








Dum dee dum duh dilly-lilly doo, scap a wap a doo a doo...

Scatting is what I am talking about, the art of spurting out words (nondescript) sometimes to lend a rhythm to music. Hip hop does it, jazz does it and surprisingly enough classical music does it too. In case you can sing and play a western instrument you have it. But it's not an empty 'daba daba daba duba dee' that's called scatting. For scatting you need a background that lends itself to the words. Perhaps a tenor saxophone, piano, techno beat or anything you have, or would like to.

While discussing music with musicians across london I came upon some interesting explanations and one of them is-- "A little pin-head in a vast universe that blows itself out of proportion when treated by a true blue musician, that's what I call music." That's what Danso (the double bassist) calls music. "It's almost like that thing that snips between your fingers but when you let it drift away it creates history. "

I have been trying to understand features like scatting. It's fun, it's fluid, and very spontaneous. The Scatman of the 'I'm a scatman' video is a good example.

I'll keep posting more on my quest, just keep scatting around. ...swap a wap a doo a doo...

No comments: