Monday, June 23, 2008

A Sense of ‘Ah’

I owe something to Rahul Sharma’s music and I hope with this write-up I can make me owe him a little more. Rahul Sharma’s santoor is as profound and lively as his albums are experimental. Time Traveler a 2005 presentation is like a vagabound traveler’s journey across time with eight musically programmed tracks. I am not particularly fond of fusion, because, done hurriedly; it may sound kitsch. However, a track in this album - ‘1960- Travelling to New Orleans,’ where jazz instruments warps itself around the pahari sounds of the santoor creates a perfect jugalbandi. The rhythm instruments are tabla and drums. Livid in their presence, the tabla sometimes and quite strangely, plays first fiddle to the main instrument.

Often when I listen to Rahul Sharma’s encores I feel like I am cycling full tilt on a kacchi guli in a nondescript Indian village with the wind raking in my hair. It is fluid and extraordinarily beautiful. A feat that he achieves in this album is to transcend the boundaries of the santoor as a Kashmiri folk instrument to give it a universal flavour of a saxophone. Strange, often tangled, and unearthly beautiful. I found in his music all rights and pleasures due to me, even though the disturbance of new age instrumentals was sometimes a bit off, but finding it's own space in the entanglement. I have often heard that musicians have the power to transcend their bodies and lift their mental beings to a state of suspension; it is like spoonfuls of honey into the gullies of the mind. That is how dear readers I would define an ‘out of the body kind of an experience’ with my banality.

I went for a similar concert at Max Mueller Bhavan by Tanmoy Bose a few years back, where he created a bizarre yet poignant mix of an Indian instrument like the ‘dhak’ and a western instrument like ‘brazilian drums.’ The audience grew from a dwindling crowd of five to six people to an auditorium full of listeners, people who could hardly attend their language classes downstairs. The rhythm interfused in my mind a number of extra-musical memories. Something I would fail to describe in words. Out of my right mind!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

a little similar to sonu nigam's new album, classically mild. it has quite a few experiments with ragas

Crystal Revelations said...

@anon: I haven't heard all the songs of the album, but there's one that particularly good 'soona sajan ayo re.' It's done fairly well

Aastha Gill said...

Hey check the Percussions by Arirang Party.Saw them live at Edinburgh Fringe'08 divine music to uplift your spirit!!